9.07.2006

MY ENCOUNTER WITH GREATNESS

I knew it would take a big event to get me back into the blogging world. Little did I know that the biggest and best moment of my life would occur today.

I just shook Jack Bauer's hand.

I'll let you marinate on that for a second.

...

That's right. I was on my way back from the gym, walking down 16th street, when I noticed a white glow from a distance. The person was moving with confidence and charisma, a veritable beacon of power in the New York City landscape. As I got closer, I started to realize that something great was going to happen. When I was about 10 feet away, I realized that it was Keifer Sutherland/Jack Bauer.

Ladies and gentlemen, Real recognized Real.

I don't remember much about the enounter. I do remember that he was wearing jeans, a long white sleeved t-shirt, and aviators. He was also carrying a brown shopping bag. I guess he got tired of the messenger bag from Season 5.

My brain started spinning - what do I do? What do I say? Should I turn and run and hope that his instinct will kick in and that he would tackle me and start yelling at me to tell him where the bomb/president/his daughter were?? Is he one of the 4,745 people that has seen my Almeida impression? Does he love my Almeida impression? Did he ever consider firing the guy who plays Almeida so that I could be on the show? What was in the brown shopping bag? A deadly virus? Guns? Nina Meyer's head? Did I have information that would allow him to save the world? Was Tony Almeida giving him directions? Was I in any sort of direct danger being within 5 feet of THE GREATEST AMERICAN IN HISTORY?

I composed myself. With any other celebrity I would have made an ass out of myself. But with Jack...well, you don't screw around. Plus, I didn't want him to kick my ass. Or maybe I did want him to kick my ass. I'm not sure. Here's a transcript of our conversation.

Me: Keifer?
Keifer: Yeah?
Me (extending my hand): I'm a big fan, man.
Keifer (shaking my hand): Thanks. I appreciate it.

Then we parted ways. As I walked away I think my life flashed before my eyes. And I swear I heard a voice in the distance calling my name about 10 seconds after we walked away from each other. Maybe the moment meant as much to him as it did to me.


JB in the place to be

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So. fucking. jealous.

Anonymous said...

i hate you. please never come home or call.